Sunday, November 4, 2007

My life stopped for a moment, so did my blog

Photos 1st, writing 2nd.

Photo: Me and some of my coworkers on Halloween.

Photo: ConAgra takes its employees on a "boat cruise" ... therefore I sit on the pelican since we have the same footwear

Photo: Jen and I after the Monster Dash 5K ... the last time I was able to run.

Photo: Me with my 1st place award! Spooky!

Photo: The Rowes at Soma ... the condos across the street from me.

Photo: Changed up the living room set-up a little bit.

Photo: My walking boot that I have to wear until who knows when.

Photo: Omaha neighborhood in the fall.

Question: What do you do when you don't have anything exciting happening in your life?
Answer: You don't update your blog.

Actually, there are many happenings and stories I could tell over the past 3 months since I've written but they'll all fall into place eventually. To sum things up in 4 categories:

Work:
I'm still in Omaha and working as a food scientist at ConAgra. More specifically I formulate Snack Pack and Swiss Miss pudding and other secret projects that I can't tell you about. I LOVE the people I work with, i.e. the people in my lab. As for working in the corporate world... I'd like to know what those higher up people are thinking when they hire our managers and directors. Perhaps it's all in one big plan that they have for ConAgra ... but to put it bluntly it's VERY hard to manage your own manager and to collaborate when that person knows very little about the company. Though I must say 80% of our humor comes from that very fact.

Sports:
After 2 months of doing nothing (literally nothing), I was finally able to start working out slowly again from my broken rib during mid-July. Still to this day there's something wrong with it. I can't lift my upper body up on my right side, but at least I can move faster than a snail without dying of pain from my lungs trying to breathe. Late August I decided to train for a Thanksgiving day 5K. I ran a 10K in 45:22 about a month after I started training so I was getting stoked for running a personal best in my 5K 2 months later. Unfortunately, about a week or so ago I came down with a stress fracture. I definitely wasn't over training ...unless you say 15 miles a week running is overtraining, so I actually think it's a combo of doing some speed work along with pushing off the wall swimming. The fracture is in my 2nd metatarsal so I've been walking around in my giant boot to help the healing process go faster. Luckily though I'm still able to swim! Yay! So, I've been swimming almost 2 miles 5-6 times a week. I hate the chlorine as it leaves ya all itchy afterwards but it feels great to be swimming laps again.
Family:
I've been able to see my parents more often now that I only live 450 miles away instead of 1300 miles. I drove down for a quick weekend trip back in August, they came up in September for ConAgra's company zoo picnic, saw them again at my Grandma/pa's house in Junction City, KS about two weeks ago and then I'll be seeing them for both Thanksgiving and Christmas! Still haven't seen my brother since Christmas ... but Ryan hates me anyway and is the most belittling person I know, so that's not such a big deal. I actually really wish we had a better relationship -- like so many of my friends have with their siblings -- but I've tried for years and he refuses to grow up. His loss.

Misc.:
I've finally been able to go out again on the weekend thanks to Fargo and Greg getting me in touch in Greg's old college roomie, Eric ... kudos to you two! Eric is super fun and I've been able to see more of Omaha and hang out with a lot of different people, so yay for that! I've also found that I've become obsessed with Slim Fast milkshakes with a banana. So incredibly good! Other food items of choice at the moment are cucumbers and Roma tomatoes in fat free balsamic vinaigrette. I have that at least 3-4 times a week. Oh, and Barnes and Noble is still my 2nd home. :)

Okay, that wraps up my life thus far. I've included some photos. Enjoy!


No comments: